The Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (Regulation 9) requires that any person using a piece of work equipment that presents a significant risk to the user must be trained and that the training covers not only the use but also any hazards arising from the use and the precautions to be observed.
Who Should Attend?
Persons who purchase, operate and maintain Abrasive Wheel machinery. This training covers both fixed (bench grinders) and portable (con saws, angle grinders etc.) machinery or can be made specific to either.
This half day training is designed to provide the learners with the appropriate knowledge of the hazards, risks and dangers when working with Abrasive Wheels. It also provides learners with the expertise required to mount an Abrasive Wheel safely.
- Safety Legislation – 1982 Abrasive Wheel Regulations.
- Demonstrate the correct method of mounting an abrasive wheel including knowledge of the function of the components.
- Hazards arising from the use of abrasive wheels and precautions which should be observed.
- Use of PPE and Basic Safety principles.
- Identify the methods of marking abrasive wheels as to type and speed.
- Methods of storing, handling and transporting abrasive wheels.
- Methods of inspecting and testing abrasive wheels to check for damage.
- Flanges, washers, bushes and nuts used in mounting of an abrasive wheels.
- The adjustment of the rest of an abrasive wheel.
- Practical training session, from which all delegates will be assessed.
On completion of the course students will have a knowledge of:
- Legislation – Abrasive Wheels Regulations, 1982.
- Hazards of working with Abrasive Wheels.
- Causes of Abrasive Wheel accidents.
- Correct selection of Abrasive Wheels.
- Function of flanges, blotters and other components.
- Inspection and testing of Abrasive Wheels.
- Guarding of grinding and cutting machines.
- Selection of correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Dress and truing of a Wheel.
- Correct procedures for Wheel Mounting.
Max number of 10 participants per course.
Duration of course is a half day.
On successful completion of this course Apollo Safety Training will issue Certificates to each student which will be valid for 3 years.